a sigh of relief

Friday, July 23, 2010

This photo breaks my heart.  Poor little bug, he's getting his blood test and didn't cry but wow was he sad.  It's routine that each year as we near Beckett's birthday he goes through a series of tests and appointments.  In the last two weeks we have been to the lab at Children's Hospital for his complete blood work, Audiology for a hearing test, the Ophthalmologist for an eye check-up (he has cataracts) and then to the Paediatrician for his yearly check-up.
photo by ka davidson
                                                             
I'm happy and relieved to report that all is good with Master Beckett. It's quite stressful waiting for results, I can't help but go through the worst case scenario as I'm laying in bed trying to fall asleep.  So when the eye doctor says his eyes look good and the cataracts haven't grown, I smile and sigh.  When the audiologist checks B's ears and says that his hearing is "normal", I feel relief.  The big one is the blood results, we head to the doctor's and when we learn that his blood is good, I'm so grateful I could cry.
photo by ka davidson

When you have a child with special needs there are a lot of tests, you're always watching and noticing and like any parent you are always worrying.  We have a lifetime of tests ahead of us, unfortunately I was born a worrier, my worrying is far more intense since I have had children.  I try to keep it under wraps, control it....I don't want it to rule my life.  Right now, as we approach Beckett's 3rd birthday, I'm happy and so thankful that my babes are well.....may all our babes be well. xx

12 comments:

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

Bless your sweet boy....what a terribly stressful time. I am a peds nurse and used to work at Childrens---did you use some Emla/Ametop for Beckett's bloodwork??--it is a topical aneasthetic used for kids for bloodwork, IV starts and IM injections. It numbs the area and takes the "owie" away--we call it magic cream. Doesn't usually stop them from crying at this young age as it is the entire process that is scary for them, but it DOES keep them from feeling the poke. Then each time you go will get a little easier as Beckett (and you) won't associate the needle with an owie. Also, if you practice bubble blowing at home, then do it during the bloodwork telling him to "BLOW" the owie away that helps as well. I was blessed to work with Leora Kuttner who wrote "NO Tears, no Fears" during my time at BCCH and learned so much from her about helping kids to cope with painful procedures. The book is available at the BCCH family library.
Keep your chin up--your sweet, loving and caring nature is an inspiration to many.
xojanis

Jan Halvarson said...

aw - what a trooper going through all that. he'll be a strong boy i'm sure for having to endure it all. so hard as a parent too (i'm sure) to see him go through it.


: )

A Wedding Story said...

He looks like the sweetest boy in the world!

karen said...

Thanks for your posts, Tamara. I worked with some really awesome kids who happened to have Downs Syndrome as a high school/college kid (work experience and then summer camps) and I enjoyed myself as much or more than my campers. I really love your openness and advocacy and my children and I have watched each of your pregnancies and celebrated each birth with a peculiar Vancouver "ownership" and joy. You are the embodiment of style and grace.

Sorry that Beckett has to go through those pokes, and you have to endure the stress of waiting. We (your local fans big and small) wait with you.

Vintage Home said...

...So Thankful that all is well.....Thank you for sharing!

Robynhood said...

Oh, I am so glad to hear that all is well. I can relate to the blood lab trauma (for little one and parents).. I too am a born worrier and have sat in that exact seat at the Children's lab with my daughter. Thankfully she is fine too. I am so glad to hear that Beckett is a happy and healthy growing little boy. I cant believe that he is almost 3, it seems like just yesterday he was born.. Happy early birthday to you little man, and big hugs!

Pinecone Camp said...

I'm happy to hear that all is well with Beckett! He's such a sweet little guy, and will be a great big brother to #3.

Poot & Boogie said...

I am so glad to hear that Beckett is doing great. My daughter Ola is 14 weeks old, and it was confirmed four days after she was born that she had Down syndrome. Things are great with her, but I am dreading the blood work later on. I just finished my schooling to be a lab assistant (the blood taker!) 2 months before Ola was born, and now with having her go through so many tests and having to listen to her cry I don't know if I have it in me to ever do my job. Thanks for the updates, and hope you are well with baby #3!

Lisa said...

That is the cutest sad face! Poor Beckett and poor mommy. So glad to hear you got all good news.

Sharon said...

You have the cutest, most sweet little boy ever - I love his smile! You are a very good mom and I admire you.

Purplestamper said...

Happy all is well and the tests are all good. This must be such a busy time for you, as you wait for number three. Prayers and blessings for you all during this exciting time.

Shani @ inspirednest.ca said...

Gosh, I too have sat in that exact lab chair at children's so many times with my daughter that I've lost count. Thank goodness his test results were good. The unknown and the worrying is so hard. My daughter had a liver transplant at 11 months. She's doing really well but it's hard not to worry. Congratulations on your newest addition. I'm sure Beckett and Zoe will be wonderful big siblings.